This blog will chronicle my medical volunteer work with Village Health Works in Burundi.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Little Drummer-Man

I have served many roles during my time in Burundi. Perhaps the best known of those roles would be "le roi" (the king). This is a title I wear proudly, as well I should. What greater aspiration could one have than to be "le roi" of the Short Tie Club? It is I, and only I who carries the scepter of power in the STC. Yet that scepter of power is only part of my royal duties. I must also perform all the ceremonial duties befitting my position. It is in that dual role that I serve as "le roi." It is that same dual role that I embrace.

I cherish my role as "le roi." However, that role does not define me. I am also the muganga (doctor) here at the clinic: the muganga for the children who come to this clinic. I have also been called "mupfumu," but my medical expertise at this point does not justify that appellation. I am not yet skilled enough in the art of scarification or the cutting of the uvula and epiglottis to merit being a mupfumu.

I should have been satisfied with my roles as "le roi," muganga, and future mupfumu. I had so much. was not because there was still a role that eluded me. It was a role that I sought with all the energy that my little body possessed. I am proud to say that I have finally accomplished my goal. I have achieved what I sought to achieve. I have become the official leader of the Kigutu drummers. I am now content, for I have reached the pinnacle of my life's work.

I believe that all men aspire to be the leader of an African Drum Corps. Yet so few are chosen to do so. I was the lucky one. It was two days ago that I became that leader. It was then that the Kigutu drum corps had the ceremony marking the passing of the torch from the previous leader to myself. If you don't believe me, just look at the pictures.


These first two represent my introduction as what I would call the drum major.


This next picture has great historical importance, for it is this picture that will serve as the new symbol of the Short Tie Club. In my right hand, you see that I wield the spear. It is that spear that represents our need to attack those enemies who beset us. I refer of course to the Long Tie Club. The shield, by contrast, represents our ability to protect ourselves against those same enemies. Thus, I have in my two hands the two motifs that will insure that the STC will endure: attack and protect.



The next two pictures show me leading my fellow drummers into our musical battle. The troops follow and play their drumming songs.


I was more than the carrier of the spear and the shield. As you can see, I too can be the Little Drummer-Man.



This next picture is Peter (aka Pierre), whom I have previously mentioned, showing, once again, his athletic skills.


The next two are boys demonstrating their dancing abilities, as the drummers played behind them.



Now to the truth of the matter. I was honored that the drummers did this for me. I was hoping merely to have a few photos of me in the drumming outfit. They went far beyond that. They allowed me to be part of a whole performance. I was touched more than I can say. Peter kept telling me I was doing a good job, considering it was my first time. He was being more than charitable. I know my limitations. I have no sense of rhythm. I am, if not the world's worst dancer, certainly in the top ten. If there was a television show called, "So, You Think You Cannot Dance," I would be in the winner's circle every time. Fortunately (for me anyway), I have spared you the most embarrassing photos of my performance as drum majorette. Let's just say that my body does not quite fit in with the athletic, thin, muscular bodies that belonged to my colleagues on that field. Let's also just say that if the video that Melino took of the performance ever comes to light, I will be forced to go into hiding for at least five years. I will only emerge from that hiding if I am able to change my identity. Yet, the bottom line is that I loved doing this; it was a one of the highlights of a journey to Burundi that has been filled with highlights. I thank my fellow drummers for letting me be one of them, if only for a short time.










No comments:

Post a Comment