This blog will chronicle my medical volunteer work with Village Health Works in Burundi.

Monday, June 6, 2011

An addendum to "The Urgent Plea."

It has only been two hours since I published the post about Honorine. I have received many messages. Therefore, I think it is vital that I clarify the situation. I never intended for my appeal to be directed at individuals. Many people have already asked what they can do. The answer, at this point, is nothing. Some have even wanted to start a fund for Honorine. I would never allow such a fund. As much as I want to help her, I could never accept money on her behalf when so many more could be helped by that money. This can only happen on an institutional basis, meaning that if an organization or hospital, like Children's Hospital, decided that they wanted to intervene. I can understand why they would not, for, if they do this for Honorine, why not do it for anyone under similar circumstances? Why stop with Honorine? Still, I try.

I appreciate the thoughts and charity of everyone, but those thoughts and charity cannot be translated into money for Honorine. Remember, the story of Honorine is merely emblematic of the many stories that I see on a daily basis here. I promise all of you that the day will come when I will ask you to translate your thoughts and charity into the financial help that all of these people, not just Honorine, so desperately need.

No comments:

Post a Comment