This blog will chronicle my medical volunteer work with Village Health Works in Burundi.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pictures From The Front

I will be leaving the clinic relatively soon. Before I do, I wanted to show you some pictures that demonstrate the joy and the magic that is this clinic. I know that a few of my previous blog posts have shown some of the sadness that is also part of this clinic. Now to the joy.

This is a five year old boy whose picture you have already seen: it is a picture of him when he was first admitted to the malnutrition ward:



This is the same boy, towards the end of his successful hospital stay. Amazing what a little food can do for a child. Yes, I too am in the picture, for the picture was taken as we made morning rounds.


And the same boy, happily eating Plumpy-Nut, the peanut paste that he will go home on. 



A young girl, doing what I call multi-tasking: carrying her baby sibling on her back, while she is carrying what could be the family's laundry or perhaps even the family's lunch on her head.


I have talked much about the hospital wards. I think it is instructive now to show you what they look like at night. The first one is the men's ward. However, it is not exclusively for men. There are some children and women on this ward too.





The next is the women's ward at night. This ward generally does not have men, but may have sick children. The mattresses on the floor are for the families that spend the night on the ward.



This is a woman in clinic. I am seeing her older child, who is next to her on the examining table. The woman is carrying her baby on her back, as you can see by the two, little shoes sticking out from each side of the woman's waist.



This is a picture of an adorable child I saw in clinic the other day. The T-shirt speaks for itself, but what makes the T-shirt and the picture even better is that this is a 7 year old girl wearing the T-shirt.



The following pictures are taken from one of my favorite places on earth: the top of the hill above the clinic, as the sun sets over Lake Tanganyika. 



And, finally, yes, that's me, in my normal after-work garb, standing on top of my beloved hill, as Dr. Cyriaque takes my picture.


1 comment: