This blog will chronicle my medical volunteer work with Village Health Works in Burundi.

Friday, June 15, 2012

An appeal


An Appeal for Clairia
    
     Clairia and her mother arrived at the clinic yesterday. All seems to be in readiness for her life-saving surgery in Israel. There are some logistical issues to work out from this end, but none that should prevent her from going.
     I wish that was all that I had to say. I wish that I did not have to make this appeal. I wish that I did not have to draw from the money well one more time. However much I might wish it, I still have to turn to all of you once again for help.
     SACH and MKI have been extremely generous in their support. They have agreed to cover the entire cost of Clairia’s surgery and subsequent stay in Israel. However, we still need $4,000 to cover travel expenses, as well as various other minor expenses for Clairia and her mother.
     I do not like to ask for money for one Burundian child when so many other Burundian children need so much help. I do so this time, because Clairia’s is a special case. Two organizations have already supplied the vast majority of funds needed to perform the surgery that will give Clairia a normal life. I now turn to all of you to provide the rest of the funds for that normal life to happen.
     I know that I am asking a lot from you. I also know that you have given a lot in the past. So many of you gave so much at the Village Health Works benefit in November. You should be proud of yourselves for that support. I have seen first hand what your money did for the clinic here in Kigutu. I have seen the modernization of the facilities; modernization that was long overdue. It was your support and your money that helped make that modernization possible. It is no exaggeration to say that your money has saved lives here at the clinic; lives that would otherwise be lost. It would amaze you how such little money goes such a long way here in helping the legions of Burundians that need your help.
I know what you have done in the past, and now I am asking you to do it in the present. I am asking you this time to give for one person: an adorable little girl who needs this surgery, who deserves this surgery. Let us be the ones who make it possible. Let us be the ones who will give Clairia the life that should be her birthright; the life that would be her birthright if she had been born in the United States.
Any donation that you give for Clairia is a valuable donation. Give whatever you can. Give $25, $50, $100, or whatever you are capable of giving. Your donations will add up quickly. Perhaps we will even surpass the $4,000 mark that is needed for Clairia. If that does happen, your money may then go towards the next “Clairia:” the next Burundian child who needs life-saving heart surgery. Have no doubt that there will be such Burundian children in the future.
You can make that much-needed donation by clicking on the following link:










No comments:

Post a Comment